sudan news record

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Sudan rejects 300,000 Darfur death toll

ABC Online

Sudan's ambassador to Britain, Hassan Abdin, has rejected figures that as many as 300,000 people may have died in the western Darfur region.
A British parliamentary committee says around 300,000 people may have died, far higher than previous death tolls.
It also urged the United Nations Security Council to impose sanctions on Darfur and refer war criminals to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
"The world's failure to protect the people of Darfur from the atrocities committed against them by their own government is a scandal," said Tony Baldry, chairman of the cross-party International Development Committee.
It said it based its figure on estimates from UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Jan Egeland.
The World Health Organisation previously estimated that 70,000 people had died from hunger and disease in Darfur between March and October 2004, but with hard figures difficult to get, the toll has been fiercely contested.
Sudan's government admits arming some militias to quell the rebellion but denies links to Arab militias known as Janjaweed who are accused of raping, killing and looting.
"This figure is just really another guesswork. They simply jumped to the conclusion that it must be more than double that without showing how they have come to arrive at this figure. It is statistical anarchy," Hassan Abdin told Britain's Channel Four News.
Rebels took up arms more than two years ago, accusing Khartoum of neglect.
Two million people have fled their homes.
The report was written before a Security Council vote on Tuesday which imposed a travel ban and an asset freeze on those responsible for atrocities against civilians in Darfur or those who violate the ceasefire.
The new resolution also strengthens an arms embargo.
- Reuters

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home